~ 22 Essential Sound Truths ~
of Relevance to the Sound Healing Community
~ Compiled by Rich Goodhart ~
1. Quartz Crystal Bowls, are not quartz crystal. They are glass. They do not contain any “crystalline” properties of actual quartz.
2. Metal Himalayan Bowls, are not made of seven metals. They are nearly all bell metal bronze which is 77-78% copper and 22-23% tin. Yes, there are up to 14 different random trace “contaminant” metals making up less than 1% of the bowls ingredients.
3. “Tibetan” Bowls, did not originate in Tibet nor were they made there by Tibetans. Further, they are and were made by metalsmiths, not by monks in monasteries.
4. None of these metal bowls were ever traditionally tuned intentionally to 432Hz.
5. String Quartets still use Just Intonation (and other temperments), while pianos nearly all use Equal Temperment. Musicians like Bach, Mozart and Beethoven didn't “use an intonation or temperment” so much as wrote for the instruments they were writing for. If writing a string quartet the string players are expected to play with the appropriate intonations. When writing a piano concerto, the piano is in Equal Temperment and the other concerto players play in tune with the piano. (Well, Bach did experiment with different tunings. And there is debate as to whether his “Well-Tempered Clavier” was actually written for Equal Temperment, or for a similar “well-tempered” tuning – but it wasn't Just Intonation.)
6. Neither Bach, Mozart nor Beethoven worked in 432Hz reference tuning as it never was a tuning standard in their day.
7. 432Hz was never an agreed upon tuning standard across countries or concert halls, except maybe possibly in Milan, Italy, for a short time between 1881 -1885. (This is debated, evidence I've seen not being definitive to what extent the proposal was enacted.)
8. 440Hz was in fact a tuning standard in different places in Europe at least as far back as 1812.
9. Historically, 'A' note reference tuning has ranged from approximately 370Hz on up to at least 455Hz.
10. Solfeggio is a nearly 1000 year old system of vocalizing a musical scale that has nothing to do with the purported “Solfeggio Tones”.
11. “Solfeggio Tones” are a late 20th century contrivance that has nothing to do with the 1000 year old system mentioned above, other than stealing the name. It isn't even a musical in tune with itself scale and it finds no basis in nature or ancient texts.
12. That famous Tesla quote about “energy, frequency and vibration” was not said by Tesla.
13. That famous Einstein quote about “match the frequency of the reality you want” was not said by Einstein.
14. That famous Edgar Cayce quote about “The medicine of the future will be music and sound” was not said by Edgar Cayce.
15. There are multiple Schumann Resonances. Beyond small daily fluctuations, they are not rising. The primary Schumann Resonance of average 7.83Hz is not the “heartbeat” of the earth, as it is not found within the earth nor generated by the earth. Rounding it off to 8Hz to “prove” any point makes for bad math.
16. Neither organs in the body nor systems in the body possess “a frequency”, as in a singular or optimal operating frequency. Most “things”, including humans, do not have a singular “signature frequency” but instead are complex arrangements of vibratory conditions.
(Many systems, including human bodies, have a fluid range of healthy operating variability.)
17. There are many “chakra” systems. The original tradition Sanskrit texts include five, six, seven, nine, ten and twelve chakra systems and more. They are not “absolutes” and there is no historical system of the seven notes of the common diatonic music scale aligning with chakras. “Chakra tones” are a modern invention and they are whatever we want them to be.
18. There is nothing uniquely special, or superior about any frequency of sound, and this includes 432, 528, 111, 74 etc. Likewise, there is nothing evil or inferior about 440Hz.
19. The reality of a 432Hz tone does not include 432 of anything. This applies to all discreet frequency tones. There is nothing numerical about any singular sound wave.
20. The ancient Egyptians did not tune to 432Hz. Neither did the ancient Greeks. Neither is it an historical standard for classical Indian music.
21. The beauty, power, magic and mysticism of sound and music is an unfathomable mystery and can be rightly viewed as a gift from the Great Unknown.
22. Music and sound can be “medicines”, can be nourishment for our souls, for our spirits, for our hearts, our bodies and our minds. (But don't imagine that I or anyone can tell you “why” this is, in a measurable “scientific” way!)
~ Copyright 2020, Rich Goodhart
~ For additional information, research and discussion that supports these points, and many others, please visit these pages:
https://soundhealingforum.discussion.community/categories (this forum)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ArtScienceSoundHealing/ (Prime facebook page for related discussions)
****PLEASE NOTE: This list is subject to change. Surely I could have included much more. These 22 points are what came to mind in the moment and the order that I wrote them down, with only minor editing, plus a couple of suggestions from a friend.
The point was to make a succinct easy to reference list that can fit on a two page printout.
A two page PDF suitable for printing is available upon request.